Friday, October 1, 2010

Candy

I'm taking a class about teaching composition in secondary schools right now and there are things I like about it and things I don't, but what I like the most is the abundance of freewrites we've been able to do. It has been a while since I've just sat down and written something--besides on my blog and I'm not really sure that counts. But I thought I would share some of my freewrites because I like them and maybe you will too. And maybe, if you like to write, they will inspire you to take ten minutes out of your day and write about whatever you want. It can be quite therapeutic and it's amazing what people come up with.

For this freewrite, we were given the topic of candy and given about five minutes to write about it. This is what I came up with:

Candy

I see my taste in candy as a metaphor for my maturation thusfar in life. As a child, I would only eat Skittles. Like the fruity and delicious candy, I was happy and colorful, but I saw my world one way--the right way--and nobody could convince me that any other way (or candy) was worth exploring. Chocolate was the most hated substance in my world, worse even than broccoli and pea soup. As I grew up a little, I started enjoying all kinds of different candy--even chocolate, so long as it was milk and mixed with caramel or in a hard candy shell. This was a time for me to break out of my own shell a little bit and explore some new things. My reluctance to enjoy or even try some candies remained (like pure chocolate candy bars and dark chocolate) and my love of some candies (like Skittles and Bubble Tape) were unwaivering. Eventually, I grew to love only candy of a more sophisticated variety. Milk chocolate with hazelnut and cream--as expensive as I could find--was all I would put in my mouth. I was past that kiddy stage with the Skittles and Starbursts. Boy was that a mistake! I found later in life that Skittles are still delicious, dark chocolate is still nasty, and that everything in between should be tried and has the potential to be loved. I have discovered some of my likes and passions as I've explored this vast world of candy and can't wait to find out what the rest of them are.

I realize this doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but it was the best I could come up with in five minutes and no preparation so don't judge me. 

No comments:

Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones