Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Silent Running

It's been approximately a year and half (gross exaggeration) since I last posted and I feel like a bad parent neglecting their child. Especially since I've gotten so many generous comments in the past about the caliber of my blogging, which by the way I greatly appreciate. Instead of updating you on everything in my life, which let me tell you would be priceless literature right now, I'm going to spare some dear friends the embarrassment and skip straight to the awesomeness of the past week and the chaos of the coming week.

Awesomeness:

Me and Susan ran a half marathon! This was one of my new year's resolutions believe it or not, which I have actually been following through on. But boy was it a red letter day, as Susan would put it. I was super nervous about it and thought I would get discouraged really easily, but to my surprise and delight, I totally wowed myself! Not to brag, but I'm gonna brag. I got 1:49:21 and my goal was to just get under two hours which I wasn't even sure that I was capable of. Granted, this was as Liz put it, "The easiest half marathon in the WORLD," but it was also my very first and the first time I've ever run that far, so I'm going to make an executive decision and say that those two things cancel each other out and we can safely count this as a legit half marathon.

It started out with me and Sue waking up at 4:15 in the morning and driving to the Riverwoods where we got on the first bus to South Fork where we proceeded to sit freezing our behinds off for about two hours. We sat on a bench when we first got there and were joined shortly by the two oldest tools I've ever met. Not that they were particularly old, but generally I think of a tool as a young and full of himself idiotic man. These interesting men were probably about 45-48. (I secretly hope they were much younger and one day read this and take a small but solid shot to their egos.) They talked about all the sexy awesome things they had done in thier lives and how last year at St. George, they were "not only the most attractive men, but also the ones with the best form and thigh muscles." That may not be an exact quote. But what was the most exciting for them was the fact that everyone was lined up for one porta potty when there were "like fifty right over there. Don't they know?!" That is an exact quote. Anyway, it's difficult for me to describe the way these men made us feel, partly because it was mostly the way they said things that was annoying and partly because it was five in the morning and I wasn't at the point where I could tolerate douchebaggery quite yet. Once the race started, it was party time. I LOVED it! The running felt good instead of painful, and I slapped the one part of the trail that was uphill in the face. It was also a lot of fun because there were a lot of people I knew there and we were cheering each other on. The last mile was death. But I made it through and am overall very happy with the day. It was a lot of fun and I'm totally doing it again!

Chaos:

Sammy and Chase are getting married. AWESOME, but busy. I need to get my bridesmaid outfit together and buy some presents and such. Also, we're moving out/in/all around the week before and after the wedding and moving is my favorite. (It's not really my favorite.) But, I do tend to be happy when I'm busy so I've been pretty pumped about life lately because I don't have time to be emo in the slightest. I'm excited for school to start too. It'll be stressful but it'll feel good to be being productive and learning and such. Woohoo!! Bring it on, chaos. Bring. It. On.

Title:

"Silent Running" is an appropriate title for this post because I talked about running. But, it's also my jam right now. It's by Mike + the Mechanics and I suggest you all take a walk down memory lane, or as the case may be, create some new memories while listening to it.

2 comments:

Kellie said...

Best word of my life: douchebaggery. Ok maybe second best word...or something really high up like that.

Susie said...

I think those guys were like 38, cause I think they were talking about a 20 year reunion in the future, I could be wrong. I'm really happy you mentioned them in there, they definitely were the highlight and deserve an entire paragraph! That's the Becky I love and will miss.

Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones