Friday, October 1, 2010

Nook Appreciation

During a writing exercise, me and some friends found a lovely nook under some trees on campus and did another freewrite. This is mine:


Let me tell you about all the nooks in my life and how much I love them. When I was growing up, my family would go on a vacation once a year. It was sometimes to a cabin in Silver City where boredom would often take over. So, me and my sister found a stream with a lovely place to sit right next to it and we would go there every day for hours and just read or talk. I will never forget that haven of a nook. It is the first nook I remember and so it will always have a special place in my heart, although I'm sure I enjoyed many nooks before that one. Later in life, I found a nook at the nearby arboretum where no one else went. That became my home away from home during high school where I could go to be alone and at least feel like there wasn't a crowded city surrounding me. That nook brought me a lot of peace during my troubled adolescent years. Now, I have a reading nook in my room. It is a place where I can go to read and be alone with my thoughts and it's very "me", with curtains that I made in the room that I painted, a picture of Italy, and my absolute favorite piece of furniture--a recliner. I can concentrate better in my nook than most places in the whole world. And here I sit now, in a new found nook under some trees on BYU campus. Sadly, there are not a lot of places on campus that I really want to be, but this nook is lovely. It's shady and private but I can still watch the passersby. Best of all, there's room for my friends in this nook. What a fantastic nook! I love nooks so much because they are places that you can make your own and places where you can escape from the world and be alone with your thoughts--or you can bring a friend or a lover and just enjoy some nature or some other type of pleasant atmosphere. If you thus far have had no nooks in your life, I strongly suggest you get one or two and enjoy your time spent there. Nooks are highly under rated.

No comments:

Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones